Well look what came in the mail the other day…
I took part in Dreamforge‘s second Kickstarter for their Leviathans.. well it was for their Leviathans, but I think the Eisenkern models got more of the attention. And no, I didn’t just get these, in fact I consolidated a number of sprues into these two boxes so that I bring them around and do the photoshoot when it’s convenient for me. I got two more support weapons set plus Wave III coming.
At any rate, this is a box opening review, I hadn’t the opportunity to put any Eisenkern together yet so I can only make limited comments on the assembly aspect. But off the cuff, it’s quite an impressive set. I’ll also be very honest here. I got these to use as renegade Imperial Guard in 40k. So, I’m not as yet interested in the game system that is to come out, but I can always make some provisions for them. Still, the main focus is to organize the miniatures according to GW ruleset.
Let’s have a bit of fun here:
Went to spray the Destroyer. And you get a comparison pic. 😉
To the left is the 28mm Heroic Destroyer Tank Hunter. To the right is the Targa 1/48 Tiger. Basically the Destroyer is the size of a Tiger, with more overhang for the laser…
And yes, that is a Beetle husk In front of the Destroyer. That is a Tamiya 1/48 Volkswagen, cute kit. About the size of your average compact, so you now have a peacetime reference to the size of these tanks ‘IRL’.
Incidentally used Army Painter Uniform Grey over a Chaos Black undercoat. Not too bad!
EDIT: because I can’t tell my left from my right… 😛
Putting together the Destroyer isn’t all smooth sailing. This is an early Forgeworld product and the fit… Is a bit lacking. Either that, or the years in storage has warped the solid chunk of resin bad.
Here is the underside/ inside of the Destroyer hull, you can see the thickness and roughness of the cast — FW has since improved tremendously. Each white strip is a styrene spacer, I had to add them to level out the upper hull with the plastic Leman Russ tracks. The black base is just a place to glue the tank commander on.
Not only was these adjustments necessary, the back plate connecting to the bottom of the hull needed a lot of tinkering. Basically, there’s no way to fit it. At all. Wasn’t long enough to reach both sides of the hull, neither did it had much connectivity with either the hull or the top… Messy. Had to use a Tamiya corner wedge piece to get the necessary ‘bite’.
Not to mention the front glacis plate…
Uh where do I start? Plate was short… On both sides. So you see a plastic strip on both sides as spacer and that made the plate unable to clear the rivets on the front hull — you need to slide and reposition the front plate between the rivets. It wasn’t terrible because that meant it had a good fit.
Then the entire plate was warped. Some weird geometry there, with both lower corners curling up and away. The resin plate was so thick, there’s no practical way to warm and reset the plate — I’ve tried. Ended up I just placed a blanking strip in front of it… You still can see where the lip curled up a bit beneath the blanking strip. Contemplating whether to rivet the plate for a consistent look. I’m not a big fan of riveting…
But finally, the adjustments are done, she fits more or less. Still need to putty in the cracks in some places, but she’s good for the priming and initial coat.
Yeah, somewhat obsessed with this one today.
Was looking around for a suitable tank commander, but nothing quite fit the constraints.. Forgeworld stupidly fitted the pintle mount right at the front, blocking vision. Then I popped a Cadian command squad, saw the head with the sharp features, decided to use it. Couldn’t use infantry arms (they have shoulder pads which would be unsuitable in a tank), so went back to the Demolisher kit.
Turns out the arm flagging forward was just rightish to drape over the stubber if I pointed it skywards, and the bino just had the right fit… Some days, you look for a mini to fit. Others, the mini comes to you.
I’m going to name this tank ‘Patriarch‘. If I ever do a proper display, I’m going to call it ‘Patience of the Patriarch‘.
Something that literally has been in the stable for years. Finally a concerted push to get it done. Probably will do it in German Grey — I normally default to dunkelgelb for armour, would like a different approach. And I think I got spray for that colour too…
Need to find the right parts for the tank commander.