It’s big, it’s overly complicated, it’s wrapped up in mystery and full of weird little doodad parts that you have no idea what they are for… So of course it’s a 40k Imperial miniature. Welcome to Games Workshop’s Plasma Obliterator unboxing.
I have to comment on the packaging, rant even. I meant, really, GW? I like it that I’m not buying air any more and honestly the packaging is more compact now, but…
So anyhow, I finally met up with a friend to sort out stuff we bought for each other. In the exchange, I ended up with 5 boxes and he ended up with 10… not as bad a trade as you might think as both of us are trying very hard to reduce our inventory count. Heh. As a result of the trading, I’m able to do a review of Rubicon’s new Sherman, as well as a comparison of 1/56 Rubicon vs. WG Sherman.
Rubicon’s a fairly new company, based out of Hong Kong to my knowledge, and has came into the 28mm wargaming market with a line of 1/56 scale WWII vehicles that are compatible with Warlord Games‘ Bolt Action line. Their M4A3 Sherman actually came out some time prior, it’s just that I couldn’t settle up with my friend and get my box in for this review.
And oh, fair warning — it’s a long post.
Interest in BAM picked up in my local area and I was asked a few times how is the 1/48 and 1/56 vehicles comparison. I’ve always thought I had a comparison pic somewhere but as it turns out… No I didn’t. So I might as well get that out of the way…
So I recently picked up a Warlord Games Cromwell, which is 1/56 scale. I honestly prefer 1/48 scale more, that’s a nice size and feels right next to 28mm infantry, but Tamiya 1/48 Cromwell is rare and I’m basically just trying this kit out to see how it works out.
Short form? It’s not terribad. But I have issues with it. Warning: Long article.
So yeah. I’m still alive. Work is on the upswing but the real reason I’m not posting as much is that I’m taking a module in school that is being unreasonable in workload. It got so frustrating about the hideous amount of time it soaked up, that I just had to get one kit done just to blow off steam. So you get this: BAM: 1/48 Lysander, In Progress:
I picked this up at a charity auction a few months back, because it’s in 1/48 and I wanted one for an objective marker for BAM. This kit came out 20 years ago, for the then 50th anniversary of D-Day. Frankly, this kit didn’t age well.
So I put down money for some loot: WFB LE Nagash books basically. Figured Nagash was so central to the WFB world that it’ll be worth it.
So what’s in it?
The package came with a nice flyer for the Nagash event, where they try to get you to sign up for one side or the other. Also, a small notebook in the style of one of Nagash’s books. Not sure what that is for…
So with the printer ready to go, I start with baby steps into 3D printing. Well actually I started with cubes, and I’ve started to amassed a collection..
Started with off-the-shelf models from Thingiverse, and the first I tried was a Halo-style sniper rifle. Aside from getting surprised at how small my print was — wrong setting — it also confirmed my suspicion that the models on Thingiverse are not always meant to be printed out right — you need to do some tinkering in some places.
Moved on to a second model, one of a Space Marine Dreadnought backpack. This is the result:
Doesn’t look too bad.. at first, but closer inspection showed terrible flaws in the cable and stacks. The basic model just doesn’t have the supports necessary for a good print, and things just float in the air and crumble away. No surprise really, just means you have to build your own library.
Yup. Starting into 3D printing. That was the “very very specific project”.
Say hello to my first ever print!
(Yes, it’s just a calibration cube.)
So, last few weeks had been spent doing upgrading to various things. Some still in progress…
- Upgraded my Raspberry Pi collection with a Pi Model B+, plus various casing, camera, WiFi dongle.. The B+ is earmarked to become a development platform to tinker with my Spark Core and Arduino stuff if I ever get around to them. But yeah, essentially is I have more capability now. Still looking to update the B+ with another camera plus a NOIR set, just to experiment, but that’s not an urgent use case. Now that the initial test is done, I’ll probably shuffle this to the back burner again.
- My old Raspberry Pi Model B has undergone a OS re-image and is now re-tasked for a very, very specific project. A second round of upgrading gave it a VESA mount to go behind the monitor it’s now attached to, plus a 24″ ribbon cable for the camera to replace the default 8″ ribbon.. very happy to have over-bought the ribbon, because 24″ isn’t a lot once you have to route it. It’s now humming along happily.
- The very very specific project suffered a setback when I accidentally broke a sensor cable that rendered it quite useless. After a bit of email back and forth, the supplier was happy to send me a replacement part. Once that’s in, I’d be able to get that back on track, and it’d definitely feature here. It’s a huge jump in my capabilities, just hope to get good use out of it.
- A second component — Part II if you will — of this project has reach fruition and a hardware/ capability upgrade should be on its way. But to be honest I’d probably be too busy with Part I to make immediate use of this.
- On the modeling front, another particular project has finally got to the point where it can begin final build/ assembly. Hopefully I can spend a bit more time at it and get it finalized. It’s a long build, but quite worthwhile in the learning process.
Overall, it’s been hectic and confusing, but capability increases are upcoming. Feel good about it. 😉
Just a quick update. Just put together the Relic Knights Black Diamond starter I got from retail, plus Sophia Drake. Modded Sophia a bit.
Didn’t like the “plastic” these came in.
Work was crazy last few months and I was working on another project. Need to find time to blog more.